Web Designers and Developers: 30 Things to Do in 2014
Wed Designers and Developers! What are your resolutions for 2014? Why not try something that you have never done before? Here is a list of 30 things that I would suggest. If you have anything to add to this list, please do not hesitate to leave a comment below this post.
- Get your own .com and host your portfolio
There are a plenty of free portfolio templates to start with. If you already have one, it is time to revisit design and layout.
- Subscribe to relevant blogs and stay abreast of the latest trends in the industry
We recommend greepit.com, mashable.com, smashingmagazine.com, and hongkiat.com.
- Volunteer in an open-source project. There are a number of great projects going on
I recommend that you join Mozilla’s initiatives.
- Learn and master new skills
Expand your horizon. Learn at least one new skill to diversify your experience. Think about user experience (UX) or search engine optimization (SEO).
- Improve your business communication skills
Whether you are an employee, a freelancer or founder at a startup, effective communications skills exponentially increase your chances of success. Consider taking a professional course in business communication. If you cannot spare much time, get yourself registered in an online certificate. There are a number of online and distance learning courses available for busy professional. Explore your options here, here, and here.
- Network with other designers and web developers
Get connected with peers, trend setters, and thought leaders. Connect with them on LinkedIn, follow their blogs, or become a twitter follower. Attend a conference to network with people that share your interests.
- Add new books to your personal library. Remember, knowledge is power
- Start a blog; share your knowledge
A blog will help you establish your online presence, and network with peers.
- Upgrade your hardware and software tools
It always pays back.
- Write guest posts on prominent blogs
Why not start with a guest post on egrappler?
- Donate your old books
- Leverage social media to build your own tribe
Use social media to network with professional, discuss your ideas, and seek / give help.
- Improve your LinkedIn profile
- Write a compelling resume of yourself
Be creative and think of new ways to advertise your skills. Consider having a video resume on Youtube.
- Establish your online presence on professional platforms like Behance, Dribble etc.
Did you know, we are offering free Dribbble invites?
- Get yourself incorporated
In most countries, incorporating yourself will give you access to free resources and tax benefits.
- Follow your passion
Pamper your hidden skills/ passion (photography, gardening, calligraphy…)
- Go back to school and earn a degree
- Find a volunteer position in local school/college to transfer your skills to young students
- Master Adobe Creative Suite
- Earn a certification
- Design and print your business cards
- Learn and master a content management system
There is a lot of happening in this domain. Learn and master at least one content management system. For example, WordPress or Joomla.
- Learn how to write a winning business proposal
- Learn how to design and develop for mobile devices
The industry is exploding with opportunities in mobile application development.
- Plan and follow a healthy lifestyle
Get yourself nice running shoes and start running. Quit smoking, avoid junk food or and participate in sports.
- Be a responsible citizen
Go paperless, learn and practise recycling, pool car, plant a tree…
- Add meaning to your life; support a cause (Greenpeace, Red Cross, WWF, Save Nature …)
Commit to regular donation plan for a local organisation that provides food, shelter, education or medical facilities to the needy.
- Learn a new language
If you work with people from different cultures, think about learning one of their languages.
Local Business Website Tools
|Yoast Local SEO Plugin||Plugin for Local Business Search Engine Optimization||Learn More|
|Bulletproof WordPress Hosting||Hosting Company||Learn More|
|Envira Gallery Plugin||Premium WordPress Gallery Plugin||Learn More|
|All In One Schema.org Rich Snipets||Free Plugin That Adds Rich Snippets||Learn More|
|Thrive Content Builder||Intuitive Drag and Drop Editor for WordPress||Learn More|